• Learning Support in schools: This Ministry of Education website has information regarding Learning Support in schools.
  • Here is a link to the Ministry of Education website Te Kete Ipurangi (TKI) with resources teachers have access to. It is useful for parents to be aware of this.
  • Special Assessment Conditions: This NZQA website explains what help is available for Yr 11-13 students who qualify for a reader/writer or extended time. Take your child’s formal report to your child’s school to discuss what SAC would be suitable for your child.  If your child is in Yr 9-10, it is a good idea to practise using SACs so that she/he can determine which ones are most beneficial for which subject.
  • RTLB services: Your child’s school can refer your child to local Resource Teachers of Learning and Behaviour. This requires your permission. The RTLBs are an added layer of expertise to assist teachers and do not normally work with students. RTLBs do not diagnose learning conditions but they can advise about next steps and are a valuable resource for Learning Support in schools.
  • Other useful links: if your child has Autism, Dyspraxia and/or ADHD.
  • To find out how organisations other than Seabrook Mckenzie Centre can help people with dyslexia you could consult the SPELD site.
  • The NZ Dyslexia Evidence Based website (deb) is an excellent source of information. And their Facebook group supplies great support and is very active. 
  • For twice exceptional children, you may find useful information in the NZ Association for Gifted Children website.
  • If your child has a significant on-going disability requiring considerable support, you may be entitled to a Child Disability Allowance.
  • A lovely overview of dyslexia for younger children.
  • Another excellent source of information from ‘Understood’.  It describes what dyslexia is, its signs and symptoms, possible causes and how it is diagnosed.
  • One parent’s experience. Is dyslexia going unnoticed in NZ schools?
  • How to pick a primary school for children with learning difficulties. This is an excellent ‘Dyscastia’ episode. One of many! Subscribe!